Store shelves empty in Hong Kong

News (or should be in the news) that we should be concerned about
Heartlander

Store shelves empty in Hong Kong

Post by Heartlander »

People in HK are buying up supplies to prepare for more riots, especially with the MTR rail shut down during the weekend.
It underscores the importance of having some food supplies and water stored at home.

What are your thoughts regarding storing food for emergencies?

The news article below.
https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/soc ... struggling

Hong Kong shoppers clear shelves as panic grips a city struggling to cope with chaos of anti-government protests

Hong Kong shoppers emptied supermarket shelves and queued up at ATMs on Sunday as the city’s metro system remained half shut and major shopping centres stayed closed after chaos hit multiple districts in the city.
While early-bird shoppers complained about having to queue for almost 45 minutes at cashiers at supermarkets, latecomers were confronted with almost empty shelves. Throughout the morning, social media was awash with pictures of supermarkets and grocery stores that appeared to have almost no stock.

In Mong Kok, a housewife, Mrs Ma, rushed to a Wellcome supermarket around midday on Sunday, only to find many of the shelves already empty.
“Staff said that they opened for a half day on Saturday and did not have time to stock up new supplies because of the chaos all over Hong Kong,” she said.

“I am not sure if people have overreacted. But I have never seen this in my life. It is like wartime. I saw people even stock up on toilet paper.”
In Wan Chai, a shopper let out sighs of disappointment as she was denied entry to a Wellcome outlet that closed late afternoon.

“I only planned to run an errand and should have been back home very quickly,” the frustrated shopper said. “But I have been walking around the area for half an hour and could not find a supermarket that was open.”
The woman blamed the anti-government protesters for messing up Hong Kong.
“Can’t they just protest peacefully? Why must they turn Hong Kong upside down to make their point heard? We are only laymen and we have our life to live,” she said.

Protesters unleashed chaos across the city in an angry response to an anti-mask law, introduced by city leader Carrie Lam Cheng Yuet-ngor on Friday in a bid to quell the social unrest that has rocked the city for nearly four months.
The move backfired and tens of thousands of people poured on to the streets to protest on for a second day on Sunday.

Return to “Current News & Events”