Matches

Making and maintaining fire will greatly increase your chance of survival. Fire not only allows you to stay warm but you can also cook, scare away predators, boil water, etc.
Alan Extreme

Matches

Post by Alan Extreme »

There are currently a few different types of matches available.

Paper Match
Commonly found in hotels, these matches pack flat and can even store in your wallet.

Wooden Match
Can be brought from supermarket a whole lot and doesn't cost much but do take up some space in your pocket.

Windproof Match
Usually pink in colour and the match head extend to half the match length, slightly more expensive than wooden match but you're paying for the windproof ability. Some people don't like it because it gives off a chemical smell when burning.

Waterproof Match
Also known as Stormproof Match, the company that make it is call UCO. This match is windproof and waterproof and can burn around 15 seconds. It is quite expensive and bulky and will take up space in your bag but it is a trade off for a quality item. If you can't start fire with a UCO Stormproof Match, nothing can help you...

If you're looking to waterproof ur match by DIY, here is what you can do:
Soak any normal match head into melted wax and let it dry...

Hope this topic helps you save some money!
Stephen
Site Admin

Re: Matches

Post by Stephen »

Great information. Previously I thought Paper match and Wooden match are the same.
Any idea where to purchase Paper match?
Is the smoke from Windproof match toxic?
Alan Extreme

Post by Alan Extreme »

Can't find paper match in sg, usually western countries will have.

All smoke are unhealthy, not just windproof match. Just that the smoke from windproof match smell a bit nasty
adrianfoo

Post by adrianfoo »

i tried finding paper matches before, but can't find lol...

light-anywhere matches also cannot find le... some of the storm proof matches from china is quite terrible...should stick to UCO

adrianfoo

Post by adrianfoo »

I was tinkering with a different version, made with normal matches + tissue paper instead of the fly-tackle material. dipped in wax. wonder if it'll work too.

MarcM@verick

Post by MarcM@verick »

Paper matches are common in business hotels in Japan. Let me grab some when I am there this November.
Stephen
Site Admin

Post by Stephen »

See whether can buy from them. I don't mind paying for it if can buy more.
MarcM@verick wrote: 22 Sep 2019 09:11 Paper matches are common in business hotels in Japan. Let me grab some when I am there this November.
MarcM@verick

Post by MarcM@verick »

Stephen wrote: 22 Sep 2019 17:00 See whether can buy from them. I don't mind paying for it if can buy more.
MarcM@verick wrote: 22 Sep 2019 09:11 Paper matches are common in business hotels in Japan. Let me grab some when I am there this November.
Actually... they provide it free.. I will try to take a few from the hotel and restaurants to pass to the members here 8-)
manage to find one from my fire kit..
adrianfoo

Post by adrianfoo »

Wah.. nice..

Maybe if have time scout the kombini ? I miss the japanese kombini ... more selection than mustafa one siol

Return to “Stoves & Fire”